In 2019, CCSA partnered with Goolwa Community Centre to undertake a placemaking project that would bring a different cohort to their new premises. Goolwa Community Centre is an independent centre operates from a privately rented building.
The Centre has long been engaged with the township’s community with a focus on older people and some disability-specific programs. The Centre was keen to raise awareness of its new location and the diversified range of programs including their under-represented groups of young children and families.
"More colour, make the front more welcoming"
150 community members participated in the project
70% were new to the Centre
30% were young people and families (under-represented amongst existing Centre participants)
Click the headings below for more detail of the projects
- Bunting created from upcycled tree guards
- Custom-made boat-themed seating to link with other boat-themed seating around Goolwa (in progress)
- Front and side gates now remain open during operation hours
- Hand-made flags erected at each gate
- Pelican and seagull footprints stencilled along access ramp to the front entrance
- Potted citrus trees to be planted along the access ramp to the entrance (in progress)
- Seating provided in the front of the building
- Branded marquee offering outdoor protection from weather
- Outdoor quilted rug as child-friendly outdoor seating option (in progress)
- Bird Feeder (in progress)
- “What’s On” signage
- A-frames displayed by open gate
No action required.
- Increased outdoor activities particularly in school holiday periods
Click the photos below for a closer look
Goolwa Community Centre would like to thank the following community partners...
- Goolwa Residents
- Cittaslow Goolwa
- Goolwa Primary School
- Bunnings Victor Harbor
- Armfield Wooden Boatbuilders
- Fleurieu Regional Waste Authority
- Vivid Branded Marquees
- The Colour Manifesto