In 2019, CCSA partnered with Henley and Grange Community Centre (HGCC) to undertake a placemaking project funded by the Department for Human Services (DHS). HGCC is owned by the City of Charles Sturt and resides in a single storey building on a busy road. It is not a purpose-built building and is wedged between two-story government buildings. A further barrier is the extensive car park between the footpath and the Centre’s front door.
HGCC identified that young people and families were under-represented groups as their current centre users were primarily older people. HGCC had trialled a Kids Market – made by kids for kids – in early 2019 which was very successful. They were keen to build on that success to strengthen the relationship with these groups.
"Where is it? I've never noticed the centre and I've lived here for many years."
3,500 community members participated in the project
80% were new to the Centre
50% were young people and families (under-represented amongst existing Centre participants)
Click the headings below for more detail of the projects
- Community Centre repainted in contemporary colour
- Beach-themed colourful paste-ups on side fence to draw attention from a distance whether foot/vehicle traffic
- Bunting created from upcycled Council banners hanging along frontage of building
- Front door is painted a bright colour to highlight building entrance
- Kids Christmas Market – occasional car-park takeover for outdoor events as a successful way of capturing interest and engagement through activity
Beach-themed “what’s on” signage (in progress)
- Beach-towel driveway mural as a directional path down the centre of the car park to the front door (potential future project, subject to Council review and approval)
- Fence paste-up effuses colour, warmth and sparks interest
- The Centre has increased the amount of outdoor activities they hold in the carpark (temporary carpark takeover), particularly in school holiday periods, to attract interest and participation from the wider community
Click the photos below for a closer look
HGCC would like to thank the following community partners...
- Henley and Grange Residents
- Marine Discovery Centre
- ‘VisitHenleyBeach’ Facebook Coordinator
- SA Girl Guides (West Metropolitan Region)
- Bunnings Mile End
- Glandore Woodworkers Group
- Adelaide and Rural Salvage Yards
- Henley Makers’ Market
- City of Charles Sturt
- Monica Prichard Art Installation
- The Colour Manifesto